You can’t beat a good apple tart, and with so many apples in season, here’s a quick and easy to make recipe courtesy of Wasted Kitchen. The caramelised apple pairs beautifully with the almonds and pastry. Tart heaven!
- 75g unsalted butter
- 90g caster sugar
- 80g ground almonds
- 2 egg yolks
- Half teaspoon vanilla extract
- Three regular sized eating apples – 350-400g total weight.
- 20g butter
- 20g caster sugar (or one heaped tablespoon)
- Juice of half a lemon
Pastry & Finishing
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- Caster or icing sugar, for sprinkling
- Creme Fraiche, Ice Cream or Whipped Cream to serve
Make The Frangipane
Mix the frangipane ingredients together until combined and chill in fridge – you can use a food processor, hand blender or a spoon to do this
Preheat oven to 200 (180 fan).
Make The Caramelised Apple
NB – you can skip the caramelisation bit and just pop the slices of apple straight on the frangipane if you haven’t got the time, ingredients or it feels like a faff! It will still taste great.
- Put the sugar, butter and lemon juice in a saucepan and heat very gently so that butter melts and it all mixes together. Turn heat off once this is done.
- While this is happening cut your apples into slices – cut into four quarters, remove core and slice into half moon slices. You can peel apples if you want to but I leave skin on
- Once they are sliced pop them into the caramel in the saucepan and make sure they’re coated so that they are 1. delicious and 2. don’t go brown
Putting it all together
- Lay pastry on baking paper on a baking tray.
- Score a border 1cm from the edge (don’t cut right through).
- Prick the entire surface except for the border with a fork and brush all of the pastry with egg yolk.
- Spread the frangipane evenly across the pastry (except for the border) and place fruit on top.
- Pop in oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar and bake for another 5 minutes until sides are puffed.
Serve with cream or Crème Fraiche if you fancy it! Delicious with ice cream too and good cold the next day if anything left!